Thursday, September 25, 2014

Book Sisters Review of The BulletProof Ghost: Prototypes

REVIEW!!


So the first for reals review is up for BPG: Prototypes.  The Book Sisters don't post their reviews to their site.  Full disclosure, they do charge and I did pay.  Apparently they do give out shitty reviews and are supposed to let me know before they post it up on Amazon, Goodreads, etc.  They didn't.  Fortunately for me, they gave me 4 out of 5 stars, which is a positive review   I thank them for their honesty, which will affect the second edition that will release later this year.  She is pretty honest, so there's bad with the good.

Kyle was a really fascinating main character. He starts out as a 13-year-old human teenager who is repeatedly bullied, and then killed. Definitely an interesting start to what will undoubtedly be an intriguing series. Three years have passed, and he is now a robot that is created to do the bidding of William, his creator. In exchange, William promises Kyle revenge on the boys that murdered him. Unfortunately, even though Kyle is now a robot, he still has some human tendencies. He doesn’t believe he can go through with his murderous plan. During his training, he comes across another human turned robot named 004. Kyle is ordered to destroy Four but instead befriends him. This book was sort of a Robo-Cop, Short Circuit, Star Wars mash-up with a YA twist (with the language maybe not so YA). I loved seeing the world through Kyle’s human eyes and watching the computer program within him battle with who he is. The plot isn't really original, but the action along with the exciting twists and turns definitely sets it apart from other books in the same genre. The book had such great detailed descriptions, making the few typos and editing errors easy to overlook. Although at times I felt the story was a bit forced - especially Kyle's thinking and dialogue. But other than those few instances, it was fast paced, and I found myself rooting for Kyle all the way.


4 out of 5 stars

End of Review
I see the Robocop (I guess), though the influences are a little more Goku: The Midnight Eye (obscure anime, look it up) and a little Guyver Anime as well.  I hear the Robocop comparison from time to time, but I guess if you use cybernetics to bring someone back to life, you'll get that (DC comics' Cyborg, cyber-ninjas in Mortal Kombat, etc). That's not a dig at the reviewer, she did a good job for an Amazon formatted review.  Short Circuit?  I'm not sure if Number/Johnny 5 was the reference for CP 005.  I came up with that designation in high school, but I think I just went with a number that had several numbers behind it so I could bring other prototypes into the mix down the road (sorta spoilers).  
I honestly thought the violence and language might detract, but it didn't and the criticisms were more technical.  Though the book was edited and I haven't heard this before, I'll give it another read before I release the second edition in a couple of months.  
Thanks to The Book Sisters for the positive review and I'm looking forward to the next review. 



Pick up your Kindle Ebook or Physical Softback copy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment